Lombok, one of the islands in Indonesia, is known for its stunning natural beauty, and the waterfalls are among the island’s most popular attractions. Benang Stokel waterfall and Kelambu waterfall are two of the most breathtaking waterfalls in Lombok and are must-visit for anyone who loves adventure and nature. In this blog post, we will take you on a journey to explore the beauty of these two waterfalls and give you all the information you need to plan your visit. From how to get there, what to expect, and what to bring, we’ve got you covered. So, let’s dive in and discover the wonders of Benang Stokel and Kelambu waterfalls on Lombok.
TOP 3 PLACES TO STAY ON LOMBOK
How to get to Benang Stokel Waterfall
Benang Stokel waterfall is located in the central part of Lombok island in Indonesia and can be reached by either renting a motorbike or hiring a driver. From the city of Mataram, take the road towards Aikmel village, and continue towards Pringgasela village. At Pringgasela, follow the signs to Benang Stokel waterfall. The journey takes approximately 1.5 to 2 hours depending on the traffic and road conditions.
Once you arrive at the entrance of the waterfall, you will need to hike for about 30 minutes to reach the waterfall. The trail is well-marked and relatively easy but be prepared for some steep sections and slippery surfaces. Overall, the journey to Benang Stokel waterfall is well worth the effort, as it offers a stunning view of the twin waterfall and a refreshing swimming pool at the base.
Benang Stokel & Kelambu Waterfalls Tour
Visit both Benang Stokel and Kelambu Waterfall on a short trekking tour. This tour is a great way to see the best attractions in central Lombok. You can really pack a lot into one day with the help of your local guide. Click Here to book the top-rated north Lombok tour by booking online.
Book your tour: Benang Stokel and Kelambu Waterfall day tour
My experience at Benang Stokel & Kelambu Waterfalls
The Island of Lombok is a waterfall wonderland. Around each new corner is a waterfall more epic than the last. After hiking Mt. Rinjani we woke up at 330 am in Senaru and headed to Bukit Selong rice fields, which is an epic sunrise viewpoint area. After sunrise, we continued to drive down south, eventually ending up in Central Lombok after a 2.5-hour journey. Our end goal was to visit Benang Stokel Waterfall or Benang Stoke Air Terjun as goes the local name.
Once you are inside you begin the trek. It is a very, very short trek to the first falls and actually more of a walk. After about 10-15 minutes you will arrive at Benang Stokel Falls and also next to it is the ‘jumping spot’.
Benang Stokel Waterfall
We cruised straight towards Benang Stokel Falls and there was only one other tourist there. We pretty much had the whole place to ourselves. Three epic falls flow down into a very shallow pool. No jumping into this one.
We explored in and around the falls for over an hour even getting back behind the falls. This was just the beginning.
Next, we headed down to the ‘jumping spot’. It’s about an 11-meter waterfall into an amazing little canyon. Vines hang everywhere as light battles to reach the small creek flowing beneath the falls. As my friend was checking the depth he almost leaned on a green snake. Welcome to Lombok.
After a depth check (Always a must) and a deep breath, I decided to kick the jumps off for the afternoon. The climb out means you have to walk back through the canyon for a few minutes and do some basic rock climbing back out of the canyon. By no means hard but if you are looking for an easy ladder out this isn’t the spot.
What are my favorite pieces of gear for waterfall adventures?
There are four pieces of gear that I simply never forget when I go on a waterfall adventure. These are four items that I using right now and this list gets updated every year! Here are my waterfall adventure essentials.
- Arcteryx BETA AR Rain Jacket: This is my go-to rain jacket. It’s super light, folds down into a tiny ball, and protects brilliantly in a storm. This one never leaves my backpack.
- Osprey Ultralight Dry Sack: Waterfalls get wet and wild so having this ultralight dry sack for cameras, phones and valuables means you don’t have to hold back!
- PackTowl Quick-Dry Towel: A quick-dry towel is a must for travelers. It hardly takes up any room and dries in seconds.
- GoPro Hero 10: The best and easiest way to capture your underwater and snorkeling adventures.
Benang Kelambu Waterfall
It then started pouring! Half of our crew headed for cover and three of us continued on to Benang Kelambu Waterfall. It was the fifth fall and we decided we would skip the 3rd and 4th because of time and the rain. Let me know if that was a mistake and if we should have visited them.
We ran through the rain and made it to Benang Kelambu Waterfall in record time. It was a really unique waterfall. An epic wall of vines hides multiple cascades that flow, quietly down the wall. I’d never seen anything like it and felt like I was in a scene from a movie. A few locals played in the man-made pools at the bottom of the falls and we helped them practice their English for a while before making the sprint back during a break in the rain.
If you can make it into central Lombok, it is definitely worth the effort. The Benang Stokel waterfall area is like an adventurer’s playground. We could have spent days here!
BENANG STOKEL AND KELAMBU WATERFALL MAP
Below you can see the exact pin location of Benang Stokel and Kelambu Waterfalls on the map.
WHERE TO STAY IN NORTHERN LOMBOK
If you are visiting attractions in the north such as Tiu Kelep or Mount Rinjani you should choose one of the three accommodations in the ‘Northern‘ section below.
- Jeeva Santai Villas – Luxury Villa: Great location on the beautiful Mangsit Beach but also within driving distance of Tiu Kelep and Mount Rinjani. It is a location that offers the best of both worlds.
- Hakiki Inn Bungalows – Value: Set on the edge of rice fields with the jungle feel but the comfort of a private bungalow.
- Blue Mountain Cottage – Budget (but also value): This is where I stayed. The room was very basic but it was comfortable enough with a basic private bathroom.
WHERE TO STAY IN THE SOUTHERN REGION OF LOMBOK
If you are staying in the south to enjoy the beaches and surf in Kuta, Lombok you should choose one of the three accommodations in the ‘Southern‘ section below.
- Harmony Villas – Luxury: The beautiful white theme throughout the property contrasts against the emerald green pool and plants. The villas are laid out impeccably and the best part about this 4-star villa is that it actually isn’t as expensive as it looks.
- Martas Windows – Value/Luxury: This place is incredibly beautiful. Bungalow-style villas surround the modern pool at this amazing property. For less than $80 a night, you can get yourself what would cost hundreds of dollars in most other countries at Martas Windows.
- Boogie Hostel Kuta Lombok – Budget: The Boogie Hostel is everything you ask for in a hostel. It’s super modern and clean and has lots of chill spaces as well as lockers for your gear and blinds for privacy at your dorm.